Microwaves are such a smart invention that help us in many ways. We often forget that just like everything else in our house they need cleaning from times to times. Been heating up spaghetti and the sauce is now all over the insides of the microwave? Heating your leftover chicken and rice and tasting last nights salmon? Let me tell you that you definitely don’t want to leave leftover splattered food. Over time the grease and food give such a bad odor to your microwave and it can also change the flavor of the food you put in it. Plus who wants to put and heat up their food in a smelly dirty small box? Sounds terrible, right. I know cleaning it seems like hard work but it really isn’t that bad. All you need is your will to spend a couple of minutes taking care of it and some supplies you already have in your kitchen.
Clean your microwave with a lemon.
I am going to start with the easiest trick I know. What you need? Lemon, water, dry cloth and… your microwave.
- Add about ½ water in a bowl
- Squeeze one lemon in the water and add the lemon halves as well
- Microwave the mixture for 3 minutes
- Leave that in for 5 minutes without opening the microwave. The steam needs to do its job
- Remove the bowl and start wiping the insides of your microwave. If it has a turntable lift that as well and clean there
- Don’t forget to clean your door as well
- If there are spots that are harder to clean just dip the corner of your cloth in the lemon water and proceed with cleaning
Clean your microwave with vinegar
Similar to the recipe above, this one includes water and a cloth. The only different ingredient really is vinegar instead of lemon and essential oil if you want. I always add essential oil since I can’t stand the smell of vinegar.
Add 2 cups of water in a bowl
Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar and your essential oil
Microwave for 5 minutes
Leave that in for 3 minutes without opening the door. Just like the above recipe you should leave the steam do its job.
Remove the bowl and grab your cloth. Start cleaning and remove your turntable if you have one. Clean your door as well.
Clean your microwave with dish soap
Literally the same process as the last two recipes. The only difference is that dish soap is involved.
- Add 2 cups of water in a bowl
- Drizzle some dish soap in the water and mix
- Cook the soapy water for 3 minutes
- Leave it in the microwave for 3 minutes without opening the door
- Carefully remove the bowl, grab your cloth and start cleaning
Clean your microwave with Window Cleaner
- Mix one part warm water with two parts window cleaner
- Dip a sponge in the mixture and start wiping the inside of the microwave
- If there are any tough spots to clean soak them for a couple of minutes with the solution
- Soak a cloth in water and wipe the inside. Keep in mind window cleaners contain harsh toxic chemicals so you should definitely wipe everything clean. You don’t want these chemicals to stick to your food
- Leave the door open so the microwave can dry. If you think you need to double clean it with just water just to be extra sure you have cleaned the window cleaner
- Clean the exterior of your microwave with the solution as well